This intensive camp is for the highly motivated high school student who is looking for a fun, high-energy instructional experience. The Washington Marching Band Camps Drum Major and Drumline Academy is limited in size to 40 drum majors and 40 percussionists; so as to provide each camper with a small student/instructor ratio allowing the camp staff to effectively diagnose and apply instructional methods based on the strengths, and weaknesses of each student.
Drum Major participants will receive instruction in the following areas:
- Effective teaching and cleaning of marching fundamentals
- Effective teaching and cleaning of drill
- Parade management
- Conducting [participants are encouraged to bring scores for their 2015 show(s)]
- Traditional mace twirling including tips on choreography
Campers participating in the drumline component of the camp will be instructed and rehearsed primarily from a drumline setting.
Drumline participants will receive instruction in the following areas:
- Performance fundamentals appropriate to the contemporary drumline
- Effective running of a drumline sectional rehearsal
- Defining and cleaning drumline marching fundamentals
- Visual techniques
*Drumline participants should have prior marching percussion experience and capable of playing rhythms comparable to a minimum of medium-advanced repertoire.